Our laboratory conducts research in human and computer vision. This research involves psychophysical experiments on human subjects, mathematical and computational modelling, and development of computer vision algorithms.
The Elder laboratory is part of the York University Centre for Vision Research and the Vision: Science to Applications (VISTA) Program. Students in the laboratory are typically registered in EECS, Psychology or Mathematics Departments.
Our goals are to develop better theories of visual processing, as well as practical knowledge and algorithms that may be applied to problems in traffic analytics and visual surveillance. We collaborate with a number of companies and government organizations on this applied research.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Positions are available in the Human and Computer Vision Laboratory of James Elder
- Software / Systems Engineer (SSE) Position for Intelligent Systems for Sustainable Urban Mobility (ISSUM) project is available
- Professor James Elder wins major ORF grant to support sustainable urban mobility
- ISSUM Technical Writer, Ontario Research Fund – Research Excellence Project
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Position in Data Analytics & Visualization
- New Publication in the journal Scientific Reports: International collaboration yields the Southampton-York Natural Scenes (SYNS) Dataset.
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Computer Vision
- Nada Elasal on Computer Vision for Crowd Counting and Urban Scene Understanding
- Nada Elasal wins 2nd place prize in 3MT(Three Minute Thesis) research competition
- Slot Cars: 3D Modelling for Improved Visual Traffic Analytics
Corral-Soto, E.R. & Elder, J.H. (2017) IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Traffic Surveillance Workshop and Challenge.
- A dynamic programming approach to line segment detection
Almazen, E.J., Tal, R., Qian, Y. & Elder, J.H. (2017) IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2031-2039.
- Unsupervised crowd counting
Elasal, N. & Elder, J.H. (2016) Proceedings of the 13th Asian Conference on Computer Vision, Springer, 329-345.
- Estimating Camera Tilt from Motion without Tracking
Elassal, N. & Elder, J.H. 2017 14th Conference on Computer and Robot Vision
- Evaluating features and classifiers for road weather condition analysis
Qian, Y., Almazen, E.J. & Elder, J.H. (2016) Image Processing (ICIP), 2016 IEEE International Conference on, IEEE, 4403–4407.
- The Southampton-York Natural Scenes (SYNS) dataset: Statistics of surface attitude
Adams, W.J., Elder, J.H., Graf, E.W., Leyland, J., Lugtigheid, A.J. & Muryy, A. (2016). Scientific Reports vol. 6. (16 pages)
- Recurrent Processing in the Formation of Shape Percepts
Drewes, J., Goren, G., Zhu, W. & Elder, J.H. (2016). J. Neuroscience vol. 36, no.
- Road Segmentation for Classification of Road Weather Conditions
Almazen, E.J., Qian, Y. & Elder, J.H. (2016). Accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on Computer Vision for Road Scene Understanding and Autonomous Driving, ECCV 2016, Springer, 96-108
- Unsupervised Crowd Counting
Elasal, N. & Elder, J.H. (2016). Asian Conference on Computer Vision. To be published in the Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) series